I find these instructions for meditation to be quite lovely and very accessible to beginners.
These are my notes, not his verbatim instructions.
- Start in a comfortable seated position. It's all about the spinal column.
- Starting with your toes and moving to your head, pause at each body part and think each as being perfect.
- When you've finished that, think of the whole body as being perfect.
- Take a deep breath in and then exhale completely [hard to do in a corset!]. Inhale again and hold as long as is comfortable, then exhale.
- Meditate on the glory of the being who created the universe and pray for illumination (or if praying isn't your thing then just ponder the vastness of the universe).