This recipe for vegan caramels caught my eye. I had no expectations of it being good but WOW I actually really liked it.
I wouldn't say they tasted like caramels at all, but the sweetness and spice still hit the spot as a treat. This is a nutmeg-forward recipe, which I like.
My husband also thought they were pretty good. Only complaint was the chia seeds that end up gelling up if they get stuck in your teeth.
Modifications I made or will make next time:
- Cut the recipe in half. This made soooooo many.
- I used wax paper instead of parchment paper and skipped the whole brushing-pan-with-oil part. And skipped the wire rack part, too.
- I used a jelly roll pan instead of loaf pan. I honestly didn't understand why the instructions have you use a smaller pan and then roll out the caramels. Just press into a jelly roll pan from the get go. You can flatten out using the rolling pin and second sheet of wax paper.
- I did some little bars and some balls. Both were great.
- I'd try this without the chia to see how it hangs together and to make more husband friendly.